Note: Themes downloaded from Omeka.org will not work on Omeka.net
Themes control the public design and presentation of a website, including the main navigation. Manage your themes by clicking on the Appearance tab in the top navigation of the admin dashboard. The first tab to load within Appearance will be the Themes tab (admin/themes/browse).
Watch this screencast to see how to modify the appearance of your site:
Choosing a theme: If you want to change the design theme from the default choice, click the green Use This Theme button below the theme’s thumbnail image in the theme browse page.
Configuring a theme: Configurations let you make choices about the look of your site, including adding a logo and homepage text, managing featured elements, and adding footer text. Each configuration is unique to each theme and will be saved with that theme.
Click the blue Configure Theme button under the image of your current theme to customize your site. The following choices are available in admin/themes:
- Choose a logo file. You may upload a logo file that will replace the site title in the header of the theme. Recommended maximum width for the logo is 500px.
- Choose a header image: Upload an image file that will display across the top of your public website.
- Footer Text: Add some text to be displayed in your theme’s footer. This can be a good place to add credits.
- Display Copyright in Footer: Check this box if you wish to display your site’s copyright information in the footer. Site copyright information is found in the General Settings section.
- Use advanced site-wide search: check this box to allow users to search your whole site by record using advanced search options.
- Display Featured Item: Check this box if you wish to show a featured item on the homepage.
- Display Featured Collection: Check this box if you wish to show a link featuring a collection on the homepage.
- Display Featured Exhibit: Check this box if you wish to show a link featuring an exhibit on the homepage.
- Homepage Recent Items: Choose the number of recent items to be displayed on the homepage. These appear in the order in which they were mostly recently added to the archive.
- Homepage Text: Add some text to be displayed on your homepage above the Featured Items. This is a good place to add a very short tagline or description of your site. Save longer explanations for an About page.
Save Changes at any time to save these customizations.