Collections may be used in a variety of contexts that make the most sense for your archive. It is not necessary to follow a traditional interpretation of a collection, say by owner or donor. In Omeka, an item may belong to only one collection at a time. You can change its collection at any time.
Tags can also be used for organizing items into different categories or themes.
Add a Collection
- Click on the “Collections” tab in the /admin interface top navigation bar. Any collections you create will be listed on the /admin/collections page.
- Click, “Add a Collection.”
- Name and describe your collection, or add the name of a donor/collector.
- Determine if you want this collection visible to the public.
- You may associate an item with this collection, and all others you create, when adding or editing an item.
- Be sure to click “Save Collection” to save your newly-created collection.
Edit a Collection
- You may edit collections at any time by going to the Collections tab and clicking the edit button found to the right of the named collection.
Adding Items to Collections
- First you must create a collection, and then you may add an item to it through the add/edit item form.
- An item may only belong to one collection a time. You may switch collection associations for an item at any time.