Before building a website in Omeka.net, we recommend you first plan out your content. For advice on thinking about digital projects and planning them before building a website, you might want to browse through Digital History: A Guide to Gathering, Preserving, and, Presenting the Past on the Web, by Dan Cohen and Roy Rosenzweig. Need some inspiration? Look at this list of websites built in Omeka.net.
Getting Started with the Dashboard
Omeka’s administrative panel or Dashboard is where you go to manage all of the functions and information in an Omeka website, such as adding items, creating collections, modifying item types, building an exhibit, and managing its plugins and themes.
The Dashboard is located at located at ‘/admin’ relative to your website’s URL (yoursite.omeka.net/admin). To login, go to http://yoursite.omeka.net/admin. This username and password is the same as your login for omeka.net For the next steps, go to the following help sections:
- Choose a look for your website and modify the site’s navigation and homepage, by picking and configuring a theme and installing your plugins.
- Upload sources and files by Adding Items.
- Need to edit or add more fields to describe the types of sources you are adding? Modify or add an item type.
- Build an exhibit with the items in your site using the exhibit builder plugin.
- Create a basic web page for discussing your project by using the Simple Pages plugin.