Share collections and build online exhibits with objects you cannot display in the museum. Tag items with keywords. Ask visitors to share their memories.
See what others have built
- HIV and AIDS 30 Years Ago, Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History: http://hivaids.omeka.net/
- About Deseronto (Ontario), http://aboutdeseronto.omeka.net
Steps for creating a site:
- Sign up for an account Choose a domain name that reflects the topic of your special collections, or the library.
- Choose a plan that suits your needs, by reviewing available plugins, storage options, and number of sites. Or try a basic free plan initially and upgrade later.
- Gather the sources and accompanying metadata for items you wish to share.
- Choose and configure a design theme. Add an organizational logo or header image, and think about ways to customize the navigation or display of Dublin Core fields (all can be edited later) for item record pages.
- Install plugins that you will be using for this site, such as COiNS to make records readable by bibliographic software like Zotero or the Social Bookmarking plugin to make it easy for users to share collections items on their favorite social networks.
- Create one or more collections, if you would like to associate digital items with a specific collection.
- Determine how best to interpret Dublin Core fields.
- Upload items and accompanying files to begin building the website’s browseable archive, or import items from another archive or CMS using the CSV Import or the OAI-PMH Harvester.
- Tag items as you add them to create another mode for browsing the collections. Once added, tags may be edited or deleted.
- As you add items, map your collections if you are using the Geolocation plugin, so site users may browse them on a map.
- Make and print QR Codes to use inside galleries and interpretative spaces that link to full item records.
- Collect reflections, images, audio and video files to build a user-generated archive by installing and configuring the Contribution plugin.
- Create web exhibits with the uploaded sources using the Exhibit Builder.
- Make your digital archive available as an OAI-PMH data set by installing the OAI-PMH Repository plugin.
- Collaborate with colleagues on building and managing the website by inviting them to become administrative users.
- Add a simple page to describe your site or your organization.
- Keep track of your website’s visitation stats, by installing the Google Analytics plugin.