Complement your online catalog or highlight special collections with a digital archive and exhibit.
Print this user guide for librarians.
See what others have built
- Fire Files Digital Library, http://fire.omeka.net/
- Presidential Visits to Charlotte, University of North Carolina-Charlotte Library, http://thepresidentcomestotown.omeka.net/
Steps for creating a site:
- Sign up for an account. Choose a domain name that reflects the topic of your special collections, or the library.
- Choose a plan that suits your needs, by reviewing available plugins, storage options, and number of sites. Or try a basic free plan initially and upgrade later.
- Gather the sources and accompanying metadata for items you wish to share.
- Choose and configure a design theme. Add an organizational logo or header image, and think about ways to customize the navigation or display of Dublin Core fields (all can be edited later) for item record pages.
- Install plugins that you will be using for this site, such as COiNS to make records readable by bibliographic software like Zotero or Dublin Core Extended to add the full complement of DCMI fields.
- Upload item records, including accompanying files to begin building the website’s browseable archive or import from a spreadsheet or another CMS using the CSV Import or OAI-PMH Harvester plugin.
- As you add items, map your collections if you are using the Geolocation plugin, so site users may browse them on a map.
- Create web exhibits with the uploaded sources using the Exhibit Builder.
- Make your digital archive available as an OAI-PMH data set by installing the OAI-PMH Repository plugin.
- Collaborate with colleagues on building and managing the website by inviting them to become administrative users.
- Add a simple page to describe your site or your organization.
- Track web visitors using Google Analytics plugin.